Saturday, January 25, 2014

Homestyle Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

Not every meal needs to take a lot of time in order for it to taste delicious. Most days of the week, I'm running behind and want to quickly throw together something scrumptious that won't make a giant mess in the kitchen.


So I turn to a good quality pancake mix. No, not Bisquick. There are a number of mixes readily available in stores that taste nearly homemade, and
come in varieties like buttermilk and buckwheat. I find that they let me mix together a batter in under a minute, and then spend my remaining time customizing the taste to whatever suits me that day. 

Ingredients (serves 1):
1 serving of pancake batter
Half of an apple, finely diced
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice

Make sure that your apple is a fine dice so that the individual pieces will cook just a bit.  Mix all of the ingredients into your batter and cook as you normally would.  

The apple, cinnamon and allspice remind me of apple pie, and the added bit of undissolved brown sugar may slightly caramelize on the outside of the pancake, reminiscent of browned pie crust.


No comments:

Post a Comment